Areas With Special Requirments
The NYS SPDES General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activity (GP-0-08-001) cannot be used for construction activities in areas that:
- are tributary to waters of the state classified as AA or AA-s; and
- disturb land with no existing impervious cover and where the Soil Slope Phase is identified as an E or F on the USDA Soil Survey.
Construction activities in these areas must instead be covered by an individual SPDES permit from NYS. In the STC region, this special requirement applies to watershed draining into the following AA waterbodies:
- Keuka Lake
- Seneca Lake
- Lime Kiln Creek (in Towns of Fremont and Dansville)
- Reservoir Creek (in Towns of Cohocton and Prattsburgh)
- unnamed tributaries to Waverly Reservoirs (in Town of Chemung)
STC has developed maps showing the watershed boundaries and areas with soils mapped as E and F slopes for some of these AA waterbodies. Additional maps will be developed. Assistance with determining whether a site is ineligible for coverage under the general permit can be obtained by contacting .
Maps of areas where construction activity requires an individual SPDES permit (large files):
NRCS Soil Survey information is available from the County Soil and Water Conservation District or at the NRCS Web Soil Survey site at: http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/.