The Town of Wayne, watershed municipalities, and a consortium of agencies and organizations will advance the Keuka Lake Watershed Land Use Planning Guide by developing resources for municipalities. This will include model laws pertaining to watershed conservation and an updated version of the Planning Guide for the Keuka Lake Land Use Leadership Alliance (LULA).
Keuka Lake, located in the Finger Lakes Region, is approximately 18 square miles with a corresponding watershed of over 176 square miles. The Keuka Lake Watershed includes thirteen municipalities within Yates and Steuben counties. Keuka Lake is currently listed on the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation’s Priority Waterbodies List.
The objective of this project is to provide municipalities with educational resources and tools to protect and improve water quality in Keuka Lake.
The project will include six main components:
1. Watershed toolbox for municipalities
2. Land use training education and public outreach
3. Mapping and characterization of the watershed
4. Water quality internship program through local colleges and universities
5. Watershed wide agricultural assessment
6. An updated land use guide titled, “Strategy for a Sustainable Keuka Lake”
Attend one of our upcoming trainings on the Sustainable Keuka Lake Project:
Will return Early 2016. Check back for details!