Chemung County Water Quality Strategy Committee
851 Chemung Street, Horseheads, NY 14845 | 607-739-2009 | http://www.chemungwaterquality.org/
In 1993, Chemung County realized a need to formulate a strategy to protect and improve water quality. The Chemung County Water Quality Committee was organized to address various water quality impairments. A strategy was written to assist with the implementation of measures to improve and maintain the quality of water in Chemung County. The Chemung County Water Quality Strategy Plan has been updated periodically, most recently in 2007.
The Chemung County Water Quality Committee meets monthly usually on the third Wednesday of the month at the town of Big Flats Community Center in the winter and at the Conservation Cabin at the Chemung County Fairgrounds in the good weather.
- Maintain an updated listing of countywide groundwater and watershed specific water quality concerns.
- Collect, tabulate, and consolidate available water quality information.
- Establish a network between agencies.
- Promote and introduce specific programs that assist with preventing or alleviating water quality impairments.
- Educate the public on water quality issues.
- Evaluate the program and make amendments as needed.
The Water Quality Strategy Committee is available to municipalities to assist with improving water quality. Upon request, the committee will review projects, meet with officials and make recommendations. This service is offered to all agencies in Chemung County.
Water Quality Monitoring Data
Members of the Water Quality Strategy Committee monitor surface waters across Chemung County for the Water Quality Sampling Program.
2011 Supplemental Annual Report, Chemung County Water Quality Strategy Committee
2010 Annual Report, Chemung County Water Quality Strategy Committee
STC watershed basin map, 2012
Friends of the Chemung River Watershed
Chemung County Stormwater Coalition